4/3/2018 Hiking in Olympia, visit to archeological site of Olympia, cutting the New Year’s Pie
The Alternative Tourism Team of ‘’Grecopaths’’ ,the ‘Hellenic Paths’ environmental Organization (Ellinika Monopatia)the ‘Nature Friendly Culture Society of Ancient Olympia’ meet up on Sunday 4 February 2018 to walk together: Two wonderful hiking paths, two levels of difficulty and cutting the traditional New Year’s Pie of 2018.
- The first hiking path starts near to the archeological site of Olympia, has a minimal difference in altitude and follows an affluent of the river Alfeios, called Kladeos. The nature has a lush green uniqueness and the sounds of the stream Kladeos will accompany us on our walk. The hiking path leads us under plane trees to remains of Roman walls. There we are able to have a rest, at the wooden benches with a view on the river and the ancient walls. The path will lead us to a natural Delta of the river Alfeios where we will have a rest and make photographs before we will walk back at the same hiking path.
- Total distance: Approx. 6 km.
- Duration: 2 hours
- Difference in altitude: None
- Level of difficulty: Easy – suitable for children
- Equipment: Good athletic shoes or mountain/trekking boots, rainproof equipment, water, snack, medication in case of medical history.
- The second hiking path begins at the same starting point as the first hiking path. Our direction will be uphill though and not beside the river. While going uphill we will admire the panoramic view of Olympia and we will cross through the new planted forest of 14.000 trees, a project that has been initiated by the Nature Friendly Culture Society of Ancient Olympia. Continue on, we will descend the hill through olive farms and vineyards. Returning to Olympia on our circular walk, we will pass by the Olympian Academy, the Ancient Stadium and the statue of Pierre de Coubertin.
- Total distance: Approx. 8km.
- Duration: 3,5 hours
- Difference in altitude: 190 meters.
- Difficulty level: Medium
- Equipment: Good athletic shoes or mountain/trekking boots, walking sticks/batons, rainproof equipment, water, snack, medication in case of medical history.
After returning from the two hikes, everyone is free to visit the archeological site of Olympia, as the entrance is free today, and to visit its herbal park or enjoy leisure time. Our appointment will be at the tavern Ambrosia, exactly next to the archeological site, where we will have lunch with tasteful handmade traditional dishes. Here we will cut our New Year’s Pie with a surprise present for the lucky one who finds the lucky coin. With traditional dancing! We are waiting for you! We would like to thank mrs. Elke Spilopoulou, mr. Charis Spiliopoulos and the Nature Friendly Culture Society of Ancient Olympia.
- 07:15 am: Departure from Nafplio
- 07:30 am: Departure from Argos (public market)
- 10:30 am: Arrival, Starting hiking paths
- 12.30 pm: First group returning from hike, visit archeological site of Olympia and free time
- 13.30 pm: Second group returning from hike, visit archeological site of Olympia or free time
- 15:15 pm: Appointment at tavern Ambrosia
- 17:00 pm: Departure
- 20:00 pm: Arrival Argos-Nafplio