-THE BEGINING OF OUR JOURNEY-
Our Goal: Our environmental and intercultural organization “Grecopaths” is striving to bring life back to this beautiful village by opening up paths and trails, reopening the currently closed museum , displaying the local products, mainly the cheese products which are processed in caves! Displaying ancient Mycenaean gastronomy using ceramic cooking utensils and also recipes, rejuvenating customs and bringing all old customs back to life , the village’s heritage and the general area of Argolis. Our ambitious plans also include getting the old water mill back into operation. All of this can be achieved only by the contributions and cooperation of the residents , committees , volunteers , future members of the organization whose only goal is to bring life back into the villages where we grew up and still remember and feel nostalgic about.
We’ve taken the first step, how about you? Back to our roots is therefore our slogan and… Show us your paths!!!
Location and brief description
This is a pristine village where the landscape changes depending on the seasons and the weather conditions providing a panoramic view of the Argolis plateau. Kefalovriso (also known as Pano Belesi) is 4 kilometers away from Douka which had 195 residents in 1951 and 189 with the official count done in 1991. It is one of the most beautiful and impressive villages in Argolida with the foothills of Mount Lurkeio and its lush greenery and cool waters. Today approximately 50 families reside there most of which consist of seniors, it is 36 kilometers away from Argos. The village unexpectedly appears balanced amongst the high mountain tops of Fragkokoukoura 1648 m. and Mavrovouni 1260 m. which are the peaks of Mount Lurkeio which is deeply rooted in the lush forests of walnut trees , pine trees, fruit-bearing trees and countless maple trees which embrace the area and impress the visitor. Furthermore, Kefalovriso also has a folk art museum which was generously donated by Evaggelo Dori , this is also where the town library is housed and there are also many traditional costumes on display. There are ruins of old water mills behind the maple trees which are rooted in the river bed which expose its glorious past. The public building in the centre of the village has a maple tree as its landmark in front of it. It offers the passers-by a nice cool place to rest and is the “host” of the biggest festival which takes place in the village every July 25th and 26th in honour of St. Paraskevis even though the main church in the village is The Cessation of the Virgin Mary.
Old Customs and Traditions
Weddings are popular events all over the world whether they are in a big city or a tiny village. In the past in Pano Belesi weddings were celebrated with great enthusiasm and of course local traditions. The groom and his parents, the town “jesters” and all the merry men along with the groom’s friends would walk over to the bride’s home where they would be welcomed with a pie, a wooden canister and glasses for the offering. Upon arrival to the bride’s home holding a “flambouro” or a stick with a pomegranate tied to it and two decorative handkerchiefs, dressed in traditional Greek kilts . The dowry was then loaded onto a horse . This included the following: The dowry line, thick blankets made from goat hair, rugs, woven covers to cover chests with which were embroidered , woolen robes, coats and wide belts. The celebration lasted for an entire week.
Kefalovriso’s flora and fauna is rich and wild and therefore, offers hiking trails along mount Lurkeio , rivers with running water and maple trees. The Greek Ornithological Society has even spotted a golden eagle soaring in the skies above.
Mythology & History
It owes its name to its proud source, the mythological Inachos where the ancient Inachos River was, also where samples of the old Hadrian’s aqueduct have been found which in the past used to irrigate the orchards in and around Argolida.